Widespread dwelling advancement supplies, ranging from concrete in building to mulch for your garden, are calculated in cubic yards. Which is why it’s significant to evaluate an area’s quantity before earning purchases for your upcoming challenge. You can skip to the cubic garden calculator or keep looking at to study a lot more.
About Cubic Yards
Below the United States’ Customary System, 1 yard is equivalent to 3 ft or 26 inches. And a cubic property is the quantity of substance that fits in a space that is 1 lawn broad by 1 property deep by 1 property high.
This is critical because rather a number of common materials are measured in cubic yards — below are some of them:
- Fill dust
Regardless of the project, you will want a cubic lawn calculator to uncover out how a great deal of these supplies you will need to have. Pinpointing how substantially pea gravel you’ll will need for hardscaping, for instance, is as straightforward as multiplying a space’s size, width and depth. To do that, you’ll need to have to convert all three proportions to the exact same device of measurement.
But initial, below are some items to maintain in thoughts:
- 3 ft are in 1 yard
- 27 cubic toes are in 1 cubic property (3 ft x 3 feet x 3 toes)
- 46,656 cubic inches are in 1 cubic property (36 inches x 36 inches x 36 inches)
Now that you fully grasp the fundamental principles, you can skip to the cubic lawn calculator, or follow together with a sample project as we set this math into motion!
Pouring a Concrete Slab
So you’re sticking all around? Great!
Now, let’s faux we’re paying for concrete to make a patio. To measure how a lot concrete we require for a slab 6 inches thick by 12 ft long by 12 ft extensive, you’ll will need to do this:
- Convert the dimension in inches to feet (6 inches ÷ 12 ft = .5 feet)
- Multiply the 3 proportions with each other to locate the number of cubic toes (.5 ft x 12 toes x 12 = 72 cubic feet)
- Divide the cubic feet by the number of cubic feet in a cubic yard (27) to obtain the number of cubic yards (72 ÷ 27 = 2.67 cubic yards).
Now, let us convert all 3 dimensions to yards. Here’s how to do this:
- Convert the dimension in inches to yards (6 inches ÷ 36 inches = .167 yards)
- Convert the proportions in ft to yards (12 feet ÷ 3 = 4 yards)
- Multiply the 3 proportions jointly to obtain the number of cubic yards (.167 x 4 x 4 = 2.67 cubic yards)
Or, simply just type your proportions in our helpful calculator under, then click “calculate” to come across the number of cubic yards.
No matter if you require a gravel calculator or want measurements for concrete, sand, rock, fill dust, topsoil, mulch or compost, this tool does it all!
See our other calculators: