A basic laundry chute in between two rooms — usually among a toilet and a closet, for occasion — helps prevent dirty outfits from piling up and keeps them out of sight.
The first step to constructing a simple laundry chute is figuring out the suitable spot to set it. You will want it to be positioned just above the hamper’s top and you are going to need to have to mark the stud destinations in the wall, given that the chute will require to go concerning two studs.
Fast Notes Just before Developing a Laundry Chute
Prior to we begin, notice that our laundry chute’s doorway is minimize from a piece of 1-by-12. Yours, nevertheless, will rely on the specific top of your opening. Just be positive to make it possible for about a 50 percent-inch of overlap on all sides.
In addition, somewhat than common hinges, we’re employing “sink entrance tilt-out hinges” to work the doorway. This retains the laundry chute’s door from opening also significantly and the springs make certain that it stays shut when not in use.
All appropriate — let us begin!
- Size of 1-by-6
- Duration of 1-by-12
- 1 pair of tilt-out cabinet hinges
- 1 cabinet pull
How to Create a Standard Laundry Chute
1. Create a smaller entry hole between the studs. You are going to want to confirm that the place is open up and free of electrical wires or plumbing pipes. Then, lay out degree traces in between them and start off slicing out the drywall.
2. On both facet, the studs will guideline the vertical cuts. When the drywall is eliminated from one aspect, mark the corners on the reverse piece of drywall from the within. This way, the openings will line up with each individual other. Then, measure the thickness of the wall so that you can rip a piece of 1-by-6 to specifically that width. In this scenario, that’s 4-and-a-50 percent inches.
3. Lower two items of this content to the width of the opening — bear in mind: there are usually about 14-and-a-half inches between studs. You’ll also need to have two pieces to organize vertically amongst the horizontals — the dimension will rely on how tall you want the laundry chute’s opening. Next, nail these four parts alongside one another, earning certain the outdoors dimensions match the wall opening.
4. We’re using a two-inch-vast strip of the identical content to trim out the laundry chute’s box, so we’re generating miter cuts on each individual corner prior to we nail the trim onto the deal with of the box.
5. Eventually, slide the complete assembly into the wall opening and nail it to the studs on either aspect. On the closet side of the chute, attach similar trim to cover the tough edges.
That is it! Now you have a very simple laundry chute to retain filthy garments out of sight, and you can right away retail store them in the hamper.
Check out the video higher than for the whole step-by-step procedure, and share your ideas on this venture in the reviews underneath!